Carolina Strong physical therapy prides itself on convenient, comprehensive and compassionate physical therapy. The owners and sole practitioners Michael (Mike) and Kelly Payne will assist you in attaining your goals through one hour individualized treatment sessions. They have combined 18 years experience treating patients. Their experience is in orthopedics including total joint replacements, ACL/rotator cuff repairs, sports/overuse injuries, neck/ back pain, balance impairments/ vertigo, and osteoporosis management. Their facility is well designed and equipped to provide individualized quality treatment.
The Paynes are passionate about physical therapy, health and wellness. They are looking forward to meeting you and helping you get stronger, relieve your pain and achieve your goals.
Michael Payne, PT, DPT
• Doctorate in Physical Therapy from Shenandoah University 2005
• BS in Biology from Richard Stockton University, NJ
• Certified in Functional Dry Needling since 2011
• Certified in Selective Functional Movement Assessment since 2011
• Certified in Functional Movement Screening since 2011
• Additional training in cervical, SI joint, lumbar, and lower extremity mobilization/manipulations, as well as vestibular impairments.
Kelly Payne, PT, DPT
• Doctorate in Physical Therapy from Shenandoah University 2007
• Graduated from JMU, VA with her BS in Health Science and a minor in Biology. 2003
• Experienced in pediatrics, neurological rehabilitation, outpatient physical therapy with emphasis on total joint replacements, low back pain and balance impairments. Additional training in Neuromuscular Therapy, balance impairments, traumatic brain injuries and stroke rehabilitation.
Mike and Kelly lived in Winchester VA for 4 years separately prior to moving to Wilmington NC in 2006/2007. They started dating in 2007 and married in 2009. In 2010 they were expecting their first child, Riley, and decided they should move back to Winchester Va. to be closer to both of their families (Kelly’s in Detroit MI and Mike’s in Winchester VA and south NJ.). They never felt like they were home in Winchester VA and continued to have dreams of moving back to NC eventually. Their move to NC was precipitated by Mike’s dad moving to Brunswick County to retire. They selected Brunswick County because it is still underdeveloped compared to Wilmington. Oak Island still has a small beach town feel like Mike remembers from the South Jersey Shore. They luckily found a house with the best of both worlds, a beach nearby and some land for a small farm.
Mike, Kelly, Riley, and Madelyn moved to a house which they turned into a small farm, something Mike has always dreamed of having. Mike’s dad grew up on a farm and he spent many summers with his cousins on that farm. Now he enjoys watching his wife and kids enjoy the animals, gardens and the outdoor lifestyle just as much as he did and still does. The Paynes truly feel more “at home” after one year of living in Bolivia, Brunswick County then they did after living in Virginia for 8 years. They hope to contribute and make a difference in their county and help as many people as possible. Their goal is to provide the best most affordable care. They truly care about their patients and people in general. They also want their kids to grow up in an environment and county where compassion and community are cornerstones of life.